
Parish History
“I have thought of a title such as ‘Our Lady of the Assumption’ or ‘St. Mary of the Assumption,” wrote Archbishop Gerald P. O’Hara of the Savannah-Atlanta Diocese in early 1951 when asked his recommendation for a name of Atlanta’s newest Catholic parish. He continued his letter to Monsignor Joseph E. Moylan saying, “We would be honoring Our Lady through the newly declared dogma of Her Assumption.” On November 1, 1950 Pope Pius XII had solemnly declared in the document Munificentissimus Deus the following: “We pronounce, declare, and define it to be divinely revealed dogma: that the Immaculate Mother of God, the ever Virgin Mary, having completed the course of her earthly life, was assumed body and soul into heavenly glory.” In the declaration of the doctrine we are sustained in the confidence of our bodily resurrection. According to the Second Vatican Council’s Dogmatic Constitution of the Church (Lumen Gentium), Mary’s Assumption is, “a sign of certain hope and comfort to the Pilgrim People of God.”
Imagine meeting for Mass in a converted Army barracks in the vicinity of the future DeKalb-Peachtree Airport. That is what those early parishioners did, under the pastorate of Monsignor Joseph E. Moylan, while awaiting the construction of a church. Seven and a half acres were purchased in Oglethorpe Estates on Hearst Drive in Brookhaven. Initial construction began on a school-chapel building and a convent for the Sisters of Mercy. During the construction, Masses were celebrated in the Old Lawton Hospital, and later in the auditorium of the Jim Cherry School. The school chapel was first used by the parish in May 1952.
Our Lady of the Assumption School opened in September 1952 with 176 students enrolled in kindergarten through 5th grade. The Sisters of Mercy conducted the educational and spiritual life of the school in the spirit of its founder, Mother McAuley. Sister Mary Assumpta, R.S.M. was the Superior. Sister Mary Christine, R.S.M. was the first principal. Construction began on a temporary church in May 1957, with the understanding that in the future the building would serve as the school gymnasium. OLA parishioner Mr. Warren F. Penney, A.I.A., designed the new church. On September 8, 1957 Monsignor Moylan celebrated the first Mass on the Feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Mother. Bishop Hyland of the Savannah Diocese dedicated the church on February 1, 1958.
In 1965, Archbishop John Hallinan requested that the Society of Mary (Marist Fathers and Brothers), who had been serving at Sacred Heart Parish since 1897, relinquish that parish and assume pastoral care of Our Lady of the Assumption. The Marists had already relocated Marist College from downtown Atlanta to the current location of the Marist School on Ashford-Dunwoody Road. In 1979, the parish began renovations to the sanctuary. The building never did become the school gymnasium. Archbishop Thomas A. Donnellan dedicated the renovated church on December 19, 1981.
In 1989, the parish renovated the parish hall, rectory, and former convent. The plan moved the parish offices from the rectory to the former convent. The parish center contained a meditation chapel, the parish offices, parish library/conference room, and mail/work room.
In 2000 the Komunitas Katolik Indonesia Atlanta (KKI) was formed to unite Indonesian Catholics in a response to language barriers, cultural differences, and immigration issues. The official founding of the group was marked by the first Indonesian Mass at St. Thomas More Catholic Church in Decatur on the Second Sunday of Easter. This event served as a significant milestone in bringing together Indonesian Catholics in the Metro Atlanta area, providing them with a space to worship in their native language and celebrate their shared faith and culture. But they needed a permanent home and approached Fr. Jim McGoldrick, SM, pastor of OLA. The community first started with monthly Sunday Mass at OLA, then twice monthly, and now celebrates Mass every Sunday at 1:30pm.
Father Petrus Pitol, CS, a native Indonesian priest who arrived in Atlanta in October of 2023. Father Peter's presence has allowed the community to experience not only regular Mass but also additional opportunities for spiritual growth and guidance from a native clergy member. This has greatly enriched the community’s faith life.
In 1999, the Parish Pastoral Council authorized a Building Committee to assess the future needs of the parish. Later that year the committee presented the parish with a plan for a permanent church and a new parish hall building. The Archdiocese of Atlanta gave its blessing, and the fundraising began. A master plan was developed and presented to the DeKalb County Commission. The parish broke ground in 2003, and began construction. The new church was dedicated on November 4, 2005 by the newly assigned Archbishop Wilton D. Gregory, S.L.D. In addition to the new church, the parish gained a Parish Preschool, Youth Room, and Moylan Hall.
In 2007 the parish opened it's doors to the Spanish speaking community that had previously worshiped at Our Lady of the Americas in Doraville - a mission church that had relocated further north. The first Spanish Mass was celebrated at by Fr. Charles Girard, SM, on February 18th of that year.
In November of 2018 the Archbishop Gregory returned to bless the OLA School’s new edition that included a dedicated STREAM lab, three pre-k classrooms, two music rooms, a middle school wing, administrative offices, and a large conference room.
A Columbarium was built in the Garden of Memories outside main doors of the church to provide a sacred space that members of our parish can choose as a final resting place.
The parish Preschool expanded into the youth room in August of 2020 to accommodate the increasing demand for space in the Preschool.
In late 2020 the parish completed construction of a new, larger rectory that is able to house 5 priests! In the Society of Mary’s General Chapter Statements and Decisions of 2017 Marists were encouraged to keep “communities of a minimum size of 4/5 to allow for sufficient diversity, interaction, and continuity of community life.” This new space is used by our religious to provide an enhanced community life and deeper opportunity for prayer. This will help OLA’s priests better serve the OLA community and will greatly enhance the spiritual life of the entire parish family.
Upon completion of the new rectory, the former rectory was be renovated into a new parish office which includes a new youth room and conference room.
In 2024 construction on a pipe organ for the church finally began. The organ was dedicated by Archbishop Gregory Hartemayer in May 2025.
In October of 2024 it was announced to the parish by the Marist Provincial Superior, Very Rev. Joseph Hidelang, SM, "that we do not have Marist priests to continue to staff OLA. I recently spoke with Archbishop Hartmayer to let him know so we can arrange for pastoral care of the people of the parish. We will work on a smooth transition so that parishioners, families and visitors are well served as the parish is returned to the Archdiocese in July 2025."
After almost 60 years of dedicated service to the Our Lady of the Assumption Church and Schools, the last Marists priests departed OLA in late June of 2025.
On July 1, 2025 the Archdiocese of Atlanta assumed pastoral care of Our Lady of the Assumption with Father Daniel P. Ketter, JCL, as Pastor and Father Nicholas Le as Parochial Vicar. Monsignor Richard Lopez, retired, and Father Robbie Cotta, Campus MInister at St. Piux X Catholic High School, also moved into the rectory.




Pastors of OLA
Msgr. Joseph Moylan, 1951-1965
Rev. Thomas J. Roshentko, SM, 1968-1971
Rev. Paul J. Burkort, SM, 1971-1972
Rev. Thomas A. Stokes, SM, 1972-1976
Rev. Vincent P. Brennan, SM, 1973-1976
Rev. William F. Seli, SM, 1976-1982
Rev. Edward J. Murray, SM, 1982-1988
Rev. Joseph P. Caffrey, SM, 1988-1991
Rev. Andrew G. McCormack, SM, 1991-1997
Rev. James F. McGoldrick, SM, 1997-2006
Rev. James D. Duffy, SM, 2006-2025
Rev. Daniel P. Ketter, JCL 2025 - Present
Priests and Religious Who Have Served OLA
Rev. Harold J. Barr
Rev. Vincent P. Brennan, SM
Rev. Clarence Joseph Biggers, SM
Rev. John Bolduc, SM
Rev. Paul J. Burkort, SM
Rev. Patrick Byrne, SM
Rev. Josehph P. Caffrey, SM
Rev. Raymond J. Carr, SM
Rev. C. A. Chauve, SM
Rev. John J. Cotter
Rev. Hector Cruz, SM
Rev. Thomas C. Dowling, SM
Rev. Kenneth Doyle
Rev. Eugene J. Driscoll, SM
Rev. James D. Duffy, SM
Rev. Kevin Duggan, SM
Rev. J. Douglas Edwards
Rev. Fortune C. Frenoy, SM
Rev. Charles Girard, SM
Rev. Joel Grissom, SM
Rev. John Hand, SM
Rev. John Hanf, SM
Rev. James L. Harrison
Rev. William G. Hoffman
Rev. Michael J. Hovan, SM
Rev. Eugene E. Hughes, SM
Rev. Desmond Hunt, SM
Rev. Joseph Hurtuk, SM
Rev. Martin J. Jerreau, SJ
Rev. Francis J. Keany, SM
Rev. Edwin Keel, SM
Rev. L.P. Kellerman, SM
Rev. Paul F. Kelley
Rev. Mark Kenney, SM
Rev. Daniel P. Ketter, JCL, 2025 - Present
Br. Richard V. Kirk, SM
Rev. John L. Jazwiecki, SM
Rev. Nicholas Le, 2025 - Present
Rev. Charles/Cornelius L. Maloney
Rev. Philip J. McArdle, SM
Rev. Philip McConville
Rev. Andrew G. McCormack, SM
Rev. Andrew J. McDonald
Rev. James F. McGoldrick, SM
Rev. George Meiluta, SM
Br. Ernie Morasci, SM
Rev. Michael A. Morris
Rev. Richard B. Morrow
Msgr. Joseph Moylan, 1951-1965
Rev. Edward J. Murray, SM
Rev. Thomas D. O’Donnell, SM
Rev. Thomas Ryan, SM
Rev. Thomas J. Roshentko, SM
Rev. William F. Rowland, SM
Rev. Daniel J. Seccomb, SM
Rev. William F. Seli, SM
Rev. Lawrence Schmuhl, SM
Rev. John D. Stapleton
Rev. Thomas A. Stokes, SM
Rev. John Sullivan, SM
Rev. Kenny Sweeney
Rev. John M. Ulrich, SM
Altar Relics
Click here to learn about the relics in our altar.
The Society of Mary
Click here to learn about the Marist Fathers and Brothers who served our parish for nearly 60 years.


